Audleystown Cairn is a dual court grave. The monument consists of a wedge shaped cairn its straight sides revetted with dry stone walls, a shallow crescent shaped forecourt at each end leads to the burial gallery. The two galleries lies along the main axis of the cairn and each is divided into four chambers, segmented by jambs and sills. Some evidence survives of a corbelled stone roof which has collapsed into the chamber.
During excavations in 1952 the burnt and unburned bones of 34 people were found 17 in each gallery, these bones represented both sexes and all age groups. Accompanying these were a collection of round bottomed plain and decorated pottery bowls deliberately broken, together with flint arrowheads, scrapers and a javelin.
A secondary inhumation was placed in the south west gallery in the Bronze Age (2nd millennium BC) there were decorated pottery and food vessels.
Court graves are found mainly in the northern third of Ireland, the single court type is predominant. Fourteen other court graves have been recorded the only other example of a double court grave is at Milltown near Carlingford Lough. These graves were built by early farming communities in the Neolithic period (New Stone Age) in the 4th and 3rd millennium BC. They were used for collective burials the remains were accompanied with goods similar to those found at Audley's town.