Ardagh Chalice was found in
1868, by a labourer named Quinn who was digging up potatoes he had
planted in the ring fort of Reerasta near the town of Ardagh
in county Limerick. Quinn totally unaware of the significance
or true value of the chalice and the other articles he found including
a cup and some brooches, sold them to a local doctor for a few pounds.
The chalice is a large two handled silver
cup decorated with bronze gold and enamel and inscribed with some
of the apostles names in Latin was made by monks in 725.
It is now in the
National Museum of Ireland in Dublin.