house was completed in the 1740's for Joseph Leeson son of a wealthy
brewer, he was later to become Earl of Milltown. The architect was
Richard Castle (Cassells). The three storey central block in the
Paladin style is connected to flanking pavilions by curved colonnades
of Doric columns.
It has fine stucco ceilings
by the Francini brothers, the great stuccodores of the eighteenth
century, many of the rooms have marble mantelpieces, inlaid floors
extensive use is made of mahogany in doors, dados and staircase.
The property is beautifully maintained and contains splendid displays
of silver, bronze, porcelain and fine furniture.
After Castle's death in 1751
Francis Bindon completed the interior design. The house also contains
the magnificent Beit collection of Spanish, Dutch and British paintings,
including works by Jan Vermeer, Jacob Ruisdael, Frans Hals, B E
Murrillo, Goya, Thomas Gainsborough and Sir Henry Raeburn.