of this castle that was built by Maurice fitz Gerald, in 1169, on
land granted to him by Strongbow. It was built as defense against
the O' Byrne's who frequently raided the town.
This may be one of the earliest
stone castles built by the Normans, initially they would have erected
a wooden motte and bailey castle, enabling them to hold the area
until a more substantial structure could be erected.