Welcome to Oracleireland.com

 

 
 

Dunbrody Abbey.

 

Other Ecclesiastical sites in County Wexford

Dunbrody Abbey.
 

(Bruide's fort.)

The Abbey is beautifully situated on the eastern shore of Waterford harbour, the substantial ruins are of a Cistercian house founded in 1178 by Herve de Mountmorency, who was an uncle of Strongbow.

Most of the buildings date from the early thirteenth century They consist of a long nave, a choir light by early English lancets, a fifteenth century central tower, a north transept with three chapels along the east wall, and a south transept with one chapel.

From the south transept an unusually well preserved set of stairs lead to what was at one time the monk's dormitory. From the north transept a spiral staircase leads to the transept wall head. Of the claustral remains there are traces of the sacristy, chapter house and dormitory in the east wing, in the south the frater is almost full height.

After Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries, the abbey was bought by Sir Osborne Etchingham, who converted the south transept into a private residence.

Ballyhack
Co Wexford
Tel +353 (0)
E Mail
Web Site