Welcome to Oracleireland.com

 

 
 

Town's in County Waterford.

Tallow.
 

Tallow is a sleepy little villiage on the Glenboy River. The Fitzgeralds used Lisfinny Castle near Tallowbridge as ther base, all that remains is the ruined keep.

Tourist Information
The Courthouse
Dungarvan
Co Waterford
Tel +003535841741
E Mail
Web Site

 

 

 

 

Waterford City.
 

Waterford city is situated on the River Suir, at the head of Waterford Harbour. It is one of the chief seaports of Ireland with passanger and container terminals, and is the headquarters of an extensive export trade in meat, dairy, and agricultural produce. The processing of high quality crystal ware, known as Waterford crystal is an important industry.

The area was settled early in the Christian period, being known then as Cuan-no-groith, the site of present day Waterford was occupied in the 9th century by the Vikings, who named it Vader Fiord.

In the 12th century it was seized by the Anglo Normans under Strongbow. Waterford received its charter of incorporation in 1206. Waterford withstood the forces of the Oliver Cromwell in 1649, but fell to his forces in 1650. James II, King of England, embarked (1690) for France from Waterford after his defeat at the Battle of the Boyne.

Among the landmarks are Reginald’s Tower, on the site of a tower built in 1003 Blackfriar’s Priory (1226); and the Protestant and Roman Catholic cathedrals, both dating from the 18th century. The Waterford Opera Festival is held each year in the city.

Tourist Information
Waterford City
Co Waterford
Tel +353 (0)51870800
E Mail
Web Site