Welcome to Oracleireland.com

 

 
 

Castles in County Waterford.


 

Charlesville Castle.
 

Charlesville castle is said to be one of the finest Gothic Revival. The turret and ivy clad mansion was built in 1800-1812 by the Irish architect Francis Johnston, for Charles William Bury, a wealthy land owner who became Lord Tullamore and eventually earl of Charlesville.

In 1798 he bought 'tupenny ' Gothic and neo-Gothic magazines and used them to model his castle on. The fan vaulted ceiling in the ballroom is from Strawberry Hill, a Gothic Revival mansion built in the mid 18th century in Twickenham, Middlesex. The fireplace in the dining room is a replica of the west door of Magdalene College Chapel in Oxford. The castle has 55 rooms including a gallery which runs the full width of the building. The castle is open to the public.

Tourist Information
The Courthouse
Dungarvan
Co Waterford
Tel +003535841741
E Mail
Web Site
 
 

 

Lismore Castle.
 

(Great ring fort.)

The castle was built by King John in the 13th century. It was subsequently acquired by Sir Walter Raleigh in 1589 and since 1753 has been the home of the Dukes of Devonshire who reside there a few weeks each year.

Conflicting Information
The original castle was built by Richard Boyle, earl of Cork. The restoration was by his descendant William Spencer Cavendish, sixth duke of Devonshire. The gardens are open to the public, entered through the riding house built in 1631 by Boyle who also laid out the gardens.

More about Lismore Castle