Welcome to Oracleireland.com

 

 
 

The Moy.

County Tyrone

The Moy from Slater's Commercial Directory 1846.
 

The Moy is located near the River Blackwater in County Tyrone, it is a plantation town founded by James Caulfeild, 1st Earl of Charlemont KP PC (August 18, 1728 – August 4, 1799) on land granted to his ancestor Sir Toby Caulfeild (1565–1627) In 1602 a castle was built at what came to be known as Charlemont to guard the pass of the River Blackwater.

During the Napoleonic period Moy hosted one of Ireland's most important horse fairs, supplying many of the horses used by The Duke of Wellington at the Battle of Waterloo. Another famous person connected with the town is William Dargan, often described as the father of Irish Railway, Dargan built the bridge that connects The Moy with the village of Charlemont, this may have replaced a stone bridge built about 1766.

The Moy is a pleasant well kept town abounding with flowerbeds, the village is a Conservation area. In the town's library is an interesting display on the life of John King born in the Moy on 15 December 1838, King joined the army, later he became famous as an Australian explorer, he died on 15 January 1872.

Tourist Information
The Burnavon
Burn Road
Cookstown
Co Tyrone
Tel +44 (0)28 7034 4723
E Mail
Web Site