Welcome to Oracleireland.com

 

 
 

Dungannon County Tyrone.

 


Dungannon.
 

(Ceanann's fort.)

Dungannon district extends from the borders of Lough Neagh in the east to the borders of Fermanagh in the west, and from the Sperrin Mountains in the north to the river Blackwater in the south. It is essentially rural, with some of the finest farming country in Northern Ireland. Pigs, dairy cattle, and poultry are the main livestock reared. Dungannon, the administrative center, is a market town and has some light industry.

Historically it was known for its connection with the textile industry and as the home of crystal making. Coalisland, the only other town of any size, is the center of the brick-making and quarrying industry in Northern Ireland and the venue for an annual international music festival.

The area was originally a territory of the O'Neill's, it was they who founded a Franciscan Friary there in 1489. Dungannon was where Con O'Neill submitted to the English and accepted the title Earl of Tyrone, while Con's illegitimate son Matthew was created Baron of Dungannon. Following the Battle of Kinsale the castle and town were burnt to prevent them falling to the English.

Tourist Information
190 Ballygawley Road
Dungannon
Co Tyrone
BT70 1TF
Tel +44 (0)28 8776 7259
E Mail
Web Site

After the plantation the area was granted to Sir Arthur Chichester, in 1692 the estate was sold to a Thomas Knox, whose descendants became Earls of Ranfurly.

The rather curious design of the former police station in the town , is said to have happened when the plans for a building in the Khyber pass in India whre mixed up with those of Dungannon.