Welcome to Oracleireland.com

 

 
 

Cooksown.
County Tyrone

 


Cookstown.
 

Cookstown is situated on the Ballinderry River, west of Lough Neagh. It was established in 1609 as an English colonial town and named after its founder Allen Cook. The first thing that strikes a visitor is the main street, it is one and a quarter miles long and very wide, this is attributed to William Stewart of Killymoon a successor of Cook. Cookstown is the main service center and market town for the surrounding agricultural area. The town's most notable feature is its exceptionally long wide street. The town has little industry now, former industries included millinery, corset, and the manufacture of motor vehicle components.

The ruined Tullaghoge fort, was used to invest the chiefs of Ulster's O'Neill clan until 1595. There are also a number of 17th century colonial manor houses. West of the town is the well-preserved 18th century Wellbrook Beetling Mill, a water-powered linen mill.

Tourist Information
The Burnavon
Burn Road
Cookstown
Co Tyrone
Tel +44 (0)28 7034 4723
E Mail
Web Site

Killymoon Castle SE of the town once the home of the Stewart's and later the Montray's, much of the architectural work is attributed to John Nash who remodeled the house in 1803 for Colonel . William Stewart at a cost of £80,000, the house is now a golf club.