a market and garrison town (formerly aparlimentary borough)
and a district parish in the barony and county of Armagh,
divided from Moy and by the Blackwater river, over which is
a neat stone bride of five arches, built about 1766.
The castle here was built in 1602, by Charles Lord Mountjoy
(afterwards Earl of Devonshire), to guard the pass over the
Blackwater, and who called it after his own christian name
and title. It was taken by the parlimentary forces under the
command of Sir Charles Coate; and on the 13th April, 1664,
the castle, town and fort,were sold by William the Viscount
Charlemont to Charles II for L500.
In 1690 the garrison was besieged by Colonel Callemotte,
a French officer (under Marshal Schamberg), from the adjacent
height of Legar hill, where the intrenchments are still visible.
From that period, until 1832, the governorship
was held either by the Lords Charlemont, or some old and highly
distinguished officer; and in August of that year, the office
was abolished, and the lands became vested in the commissioners
of woods and forest, and the castle is now the ordance depot
for the north of Ireland.
The town is well situated for trade. It participates with Moy in
the linen manufacture and in this branch there are some respectable
Previous ot the Union Charlemont was a borough, and sent two memberships
to the Irish parliament, having been incorporated in the eleventh
year of James I, and the municipal power vested in a portrieve and
twelve burgesses. The borough was disfanchised by the Union, and
the corporation was dissolved by the late municipal net. Among the
distinguished men, who represented Charlemont, were Henry Grattan;
one of the Sheridans, and the present Lord Plunket.
A new church was erected in 1833, on ground given by Lord Charemont;
it is a handsome structure, resembling in front one of the grand
altars of York Minster.
On Keenagham hill, east of the town a neat Roman Catholic chapel
is being erected.
The celebrated and pious John Wesley frequently preached in Charlemont,
and occasionally in the fort. The charter conferred the right of
holding markets and fairs, but they have fallen into disuse. The
population of the town, in 1841, was 485.
Charlemont square, Moy, Thomas J WILFORD,Post Master
Letters from DUBLIN and the SOUTH of IRELAND, also from ENGLAND
and SCOTLAND, arrive every morning at a quarter past five, and are
despatched every evening at seven---Letters from COLERAINE arrive
every evening at seven, and are despatched every morning at quarter
Read about County Tyrone from Samuel Lewis' Topographical
Directory of Ireland 1837