Welcome to Oracleireland.com

 

 
 

Roscrea Heritage Centre.



Roscrea Heritage Centre.
 

(Crea's wood.)

Roscrea Castle.
T
he heritage center in the town of Roscrea consists of Roscrea castle and Damer House, it is thought the castle was built by archbishop Henri de Londres, it was originally a thirteenth century keepless castle, consisting of a courtyard enclosed by a curtain wall with two D shaped mural towers and one rectangular. The latter was used as both residence and gatehouse, it was rebuilt in the late sixteenth early seventeenth century, the tower rises to three storeys, the portcullis slots can still be seen.

The castle was granted to Edward Butler in 1315 and remained in the Butler family until it was sold by the duke of Ormond in 1703

Damer House
This house was built in the castle grounds by local merchant John Damer in 1726. after 1798 it and its associated buildings were converted into a military barracks. The house has been fully restored, it is a beautiful three storey Georgian mansion, the staircase is particularly noteworthy being hand carved red pine.

On display on the ground floor is the 'Kelly Collection' a diverse assortment of agricultural implements, domestic equipment and furniture, brought to the centre from a local farm.