Welcome to Oracleireland.com

 

 
 

Town's in County Sligo.

 

 


Sligo Town.
 

(Shelly place.)

Sligo is situated on the mouth of the Garavogue River which flows from Lough Gill to the sea, it was origionally called the Sligeach. Sligo is the largest town in the North West of Ireland, and sits on a plain surrounded by mountains Truskmore 650m (2,132 Ft) is to the north, Benbulben made famous by the poet Yeats he described it thus 'The Land Of Heart's Desire'. Yeats drew great inspiration from Sligo and its folklore. He himself chose his final resting place at Drumcliff graveyard at the foot of Benbulbin Mountain.

It has been called the town of bridges referring to the five bridges in the town. The town grew up around a castle built in the mid 1200's by the earl of Kildare Maurice Fitzgerald in an attempt to supress the O'Donnells of Donegal.

Sligo is a major centre for salmon fishing in western Ireland, many local businesses expertly service the requirments of the fishermen.

See also the history of Sligo town up to 1837 from Samuel Lewis' Topographical Directory of Ireland.