This castle was built by Richard de
Burgh the 'Red Earl' of Ulster in about 1300. Shortly after the death
of his son the 'Brown earl' in 1333 the castle fell to the native Irish.
The castle is a keepless courtyard
castle, the square courtyard is enclosed by a large curtain wall,
with three quarter round towers at each corner. A large twin towered
gatehouse once stood in the north curtain wall, little of this remains.