Welcome to Oracleireland.com

 

 
 

Castles.
in County Roscommon.


Ballinfad Castle.
 

(Mouth of the long ford.)

This well preserved ruin of a rectangular block with massive round towers at each corner, probably built around 1590 to guard the Curlew pass.

Boyle
Co Roscommon
Tel +353
E Mail
Web Site

 

 

 

 

 

Roscommon Castle.
 

(St Coman's wood.)

Built in 1269 by the justiciar Robert de Ufford, it was attacked and partially destroyed by Aedh O'Conner in 1272 and rebuilt by de Ufford in 1280. The next three century's saw it change hands many times, although the O'Conner's held it for the greater part.

Roscommon
Co Roscommon
Tel +353
E Mail
Web Site

The mullioned windows were inserted, and many other alterations carried out in the sixteenth century by Sir Nicholas Malby. In 1652 it was captured and dismantled by Sir John Reynold one of Cromwell's generals.

 

 

 

Ballintober Castle.
 

(Townland of the well.)

The original building here was probably Anglo Norman, it was occupied by the O'Conner kings of Connaught from the thirteenth century, until they moved to Clonalis in the eighteenth century.

Ballintober
Co Roscommon
Tel +353
E Mail
Web Site

It is a typical moated keep less courtyard castle. The curtained courtyard is square with two polygonal corner towers. The remains of a twin towered gatehouse was set in the east curtain wall.