Welcome to Oracleireland.com

 

 
 

Heritage Site's And Stately Home's
in County Meath.

The Battle of the Boyne.
 

At Olderbridge in county Meath on 1st July 1690 (11th July according to the modern calendar) one of the most famous battle in Irish history was fought between King William III of Holland and his father in law James II of England, both kings personally commanded their armies.

At this battle were assembled the largest number of troops ever deployed on an Irish battlefield, 36,000 on the Williamite side and 25,000 on the Jacobite. The issues decided were the title to the throne of England, French dominance of Europe, and religious power in Ireland.

A decision has recently been taken, (June 2005) and the moneys made available to develop the site as a heritage centre. Located as it is just a few miles from Newgrange, it will no doubt in the fullness of time become a very popular visitor attraction.

The Battle of the Boyne
Oldbridge
Co Meath
Tel +353 (0)41 9884 343
Fax +353 (0)41 9884 323
Web Site
E Mail
See also The Battle of the Boyne in the history page.


 

 

Kells Heritage Centre.
 

This heritage centre located in the old courthouse, has displays explaining the crafts associated with monastic life. On permanent display is a copy of the Book of Kells, also the High Crosses of Ireland are explained.

In late June early July Kells heritage week takes place, there are many events and festivities planned. One of these is the Book of Kells Summer School, several eminent speakers will take part, and there is a your of monastic Kells

Kells Heritage Center
The Courthouse
Kells
Co Meath
Tel +353 (0)46 9247 840
Fax +353 (0)46 9247 684
Web Site
E Mail
For more information visit the heritage centre web site.

 

 

 

 

Grove Gardens, Tropical Bird Sanctuary & Mini Zoo.
 

All the usual attractions of an open farm plus lots more, several species of tropical birds. Indoor and outside picnic areas, a football pitch and a sweet shop.

Grove Gardens & Zoo
The Grove
Fordstown
Kells
Co Meath
Tel +353 (0)46 9434 276
Fax
Web Site
E Mail

 

E Mail for opening times etc.

 

 

 

The Spire of Loyd.
 

Situated just outside Kells in the heart of the countryside, on the road to ?????? is a totally unexpected sight, a lighthouse, complete with lantern. It was erected in 1791 by the first earl of Bective in memory of his father Sir Thomas Taylor, the architect was Henry Baker who completed the Kings Inn in Dublin after Gandon. The tower has a spiral staircase and was used in the eighteenth century to view horse racing and the local hunt.

In 1851 a section of land was given to Kells Union Workhouse to be used as a paupers graveyard. A famine road was built between the graveyard and the workhouse which was located to the west of the Fair Green.

Within the confines of the old graveyard stands a memorial stone erected in 1993. It is a poignant reminder that beneath the lush grass lie the bodies of hundreds of long forgotten nameless working people of Kells, innocent victims of indifference and apathy, people who had been deprived of any means of effecting their salvation, from a lingering death brought on by hunger and the diseases which inevitably accompany it.

It is a regrettable fact, and sad reflection on the world governments of today, that more than 150 years on the sad specter of famine is still visited on the poor of the world with monotonous regularity. The text below is taken from the plaque
See also The Great Famine

In the immediate aftermath
of the great famine this mass
burial place was opened in 1851 for
the poor people of the Kells district
Their memory challenges us to end the
scandal of hunger in to days world of plenty.

Erected by AFrI
The great famine project.
9th October 1993

Kells
Co Meath
Tel +353 (0)46 9434 276
Fax
Web Site
E Mail

Beside the car park is a childrens play area, there are no other facilities on the site. It is perhaps the ideal place for a few moments silent reflection.