Partry House set in
a beautiful estate of 248 acres on the shores of Lough Carra, was
built on the remains of Cloonlagheen Castle in 1667 by Arthur Lynch
for his mother Lady Ellis, widow of Sir Roebuck Lynch of Castle
Carra. The Castle was named after Cloonlagheen 'the meadow of the
little lake' townland on which it stands. During the Cromwellian
troubles of the mid 1600's, Sir Roebuck's lands were seized he was
later compensated by lands at Castle Carra.
The Lynch family occupied Partry House from
1667 until 1991. Many of the ancestors of the present Lynch family
are buried in a ring fort graveyard on the estate.
The Lynch's, along with Browns of Westport
House and the Moore's of Moore Hall chartered the ship the 'Martha
Washington' to bring corn meal from America for their tenants. An
obelisk in the grounds commemorates George Quested Lynch MD who
returned at once to Partry from the Euphrates on hearing of the
famine in Ireland, he subsequently died there of Typhus in 1848,
Now restored Partry House is open in part to the public during
July and August.
Tel: + 353 94 954 3004
Fax: + 353 94 954 3004