Welcome to Oracleireland.com

 

 

Castles in County Louth.

Irish Castles.


Look for other castles in County Louth.

Look for an Irish castle in other counties.

King John's Castle.
 

Although named King John's Castle it was probably built by Hugh de Lacy about 1200, King John took the castle from de Lacy in 1210, although the latter may have set fire to it before fleeing north to Dundrum and thence to Carrickfergus. (See history)

It is unclear what the original plan of the castle was, today it is a courtyard castle divided by a high wall. Enclosing this is a curving curtain wall containing a gatehouse with twin rectangular towers, only parts of the northern tower remains.

There is a smaller mural tower to the south. The dividing wall and eastern half were built in 1261