Welcome to Oracleireland.com

 

 
 

Ecclesiastical Sites
in County Longford.

Abbeyshrule Abbey.
 

Little remains of this Cistercian house founded by the O'Farrel's about 1150, it was colonised by Mellifont in County LouthThe tower and choir are most likely original, although the choir has some sixteenth century alterations.

Ballymahon.
Co Longford
Tel +353 (0
Fax +353 (0)
E Mail
Web Site

 

 

 

 

Granard Motte.
 

This motte and bailey was built by Richard de Tuit in the twelfth century. It was taken by King John in 1210 when engaged in pursuit of Hugh de Lacy. It was burned by Edward Bruce during his invasion of Ireland 1315 to 1318. The statue of Saint Patrick dated from the twentieth century.

Granard
Co Longford
Tel +353 (0
fax +353 (0)
E Mail
Web Site

 

 

 

 

Abbeylara Abbey.
 

This Cistercian Abbey was founded in 1211 by Richard de Tuit. Little remains save for fragments of the original church and a fifteenth century tower.

Abberylara
Co Longford
Tel +353 (0
fax +353 (0)
E Mail
Web Site

 

 

 

 

St. Mel's.
 

The restored ruin here is of an early Christian rectangular church with antae. It is unusually broad and has a lintelled door in the west gable

Co Longford
Tel +353 (0
Fax +353 (0)
E Mail
Web Site