Welcome to Oracleireland.com

 

 
 

Castles in County Leitrim.

Manorhamilton Castle.

 




Manorhamilton Castle.
 

Manorhamilton Castle was built by Sir Frederick Hamilton in 1634. during the plantation of Leitrim, previously the area was known as Clonmullen or 'Cluain Maoláin' meaning 'The Hillside Meadow', it was the O'Rourke clan who the area in pre plantation times

Hamilton was a noted tyrant, many prisoners taken by him were publicly hanged. The Castle was burned to the ground in 1652 by the Irish, previously Hamilton had burned Sligo town.

Both these castles as well as their occupants featured prominently in the tragic love story from the 17th century involving the O'Rourkes, 'The Wild Rose of Lough Gill'.

Tourism Information
Alex Delimata
Derrintawy House
Dowra
County Leitrim
Republic of Ireland
Tel : +353 (0)71 9643963
E Mail
Web Site

The castle is now in ruins and not open to the public.