Welcome to Oracleireland.com

 

 
 

Emo Court County Laois.


Emo Court.
 

Emo Court was designed in 1790 by James Gandon for John Dawson, later first earl Portarlington. It was not completed until the 1830's the architect then being Richard Morrison.

The house consists of a domed central block, with Ionic porticos front and rear, flanked by twin pavilions. The entrance hall ceiling is particularly fine, being domed and painted blue and gold. Furnishing in the house are mostly Regency and early Victorian. Throughout the house the plaster work is of exceptional quality.

The house was once owned by the Jesuit's. It was then extensively restored by Mr. Cholmeley-Harrison in the 1960's, it is now in state ownership.

The property is open to the public, a series of walks the Beech walk, Mad Margaret's walk, the Via Davida, the Apiary walk each of these are thoughtfully designed with a different theme, inviting exploration. Also in the area if you are feeling energetic is Emo Park forest, and the church at Coolbanagher which was also designed by Gandon and is well worth visiting.

Emo
Co Laois
Tel +353 (0)502 26572
Fax +353 (0)502 26573
E Mail
Web Site

 

 
Go to stately homes in Co Laois.