Welcome to Oracleireland.com

 

 
 

Ballyfin House

County Laois.



Ballyfin House.
 

Ballyfin House was built between 1821 and 1826 by the ninth baronet Sir Charles Coote, to replace a former dwelling, the rather plain exterior of the house gives no hint of the grandeur that lies within. The estates previous owner William Wellesley-Pole, a brother of the Duke of Wellington, the present house was designed by Richard Morrison a pupil of James Gandon.

The domed central hall is surrounded by marble columns, the lilac coloured ceiling decorated with ornate plaster work. The house has many inlaid parquetry floors, which mirror the vaulted ceilings, also with plaster work motif's. The gold room with its gold leaf plaster work and furniture is in the style of Louis XV is exceptionally splendid.

Sir Edward Lutyens was hired to landscape the gardens of Ballyfin House, which features a large lake facing the house. The conservatory at the side of the house was added in 1850, it is thought the design of this was by Richard Turner who designed the Palm House at Kew gardens London.

In 2002 Ballyfin House was reported to be in need of conservation as a result of the ingress of water.

The village of Ballyfin takes it's name from (Baile Fionn, meaning "Town of Fionn") it is located in the Slieve Bloom Mountains between the towns of Mountrath and Mountmellick. Fionn Mac Cumhaill the legendary leader of the Fianna is said to have spent the early years of his life in Ballyfin.

The area around Ballyfin is famed for the beauty of its scenery, the land is well forested there are many beautiful walks through these forests and the Slieve Bloom Mountains. The tourist is well catered for in Ballyfin with many excellent guest houses and some self catering accommodation.

Ballyfin House

Ballyfin
Co Laois
Tel +353 (0) 502 55245
Fax +353 (0)502
E Mail
Web Site

For more information about the area around Ballyfin House visit the Mountmellick Development Association web site.

Go to stately homes in Co Laois.