built a castle on this site about 1172 of which no trace remains.
About 1192 his son in law William Marshall began the construction
of a stone castle. In 1391 James Butler third earl of Ormond came
into possession of the castle, it remained in the Butler family
Cromwell captured Kilkenny Castle 1650 and
James Butler twelfth earl and first duke of Ormond went into exile
on the continent in company with king Charles II. After the restoration
Ormond remodeled the castle in the French style, his son the second
duke added a neoclassical gatehouse.
In 1826 James Butler second marques aided
by architect William Robinson gave the house the appearance we see