Welcome to Oracleireland.com

 

 
 

Ecclesiastical Sites in County Kilkenny.

 

Callan Friary
 
This Augustinian Friary was founded in 1462 by James Butler of the Polestown branch of the Anglo Irish family. The walls are largely complete to roof level together with a square tower and curvilinear tracery in the west window. Particularly noteworthy is the carved sedilia in the south wall of the choir. None of the claustral buildings have survived.
Tourist Information
Shee Alms House
Rose Inn Street
Kilkenny
Co Kilkenny
Tel +353 (0)56 775 1500
Fax +353 (0)56 7763955
E Mail
Web Site

 

 

 

Kilree Church, High Cross, and Round Tower.
 

This early Christian church consisting of a flat headed west doorway and antae projecting from the west gable wall. The chancel and rounded arch are of a later date. The 29.25 Meter (96 FT) round tower nearby is devoid of its original top. To the west of the church in a field is a high cross, decorated with interlaced circular bosses on each face.

Tourist Information
Shee Alms House
Rose Inn Street
Kilkenny
Co Kilkenny
Tel +353 (0)56 775 1500
Fax +353 (0)56 7763955
E Mail
Web Site

 

 

 

Aghaviller Church and Round Tower..
 

All that remains on the site of this twelfth or thirteenth church is a rectangular tower that appears to have been fortified and heightened in the sixteenth century. Nearby is the 12.2 meter (40 ft) stump of a round tower with a modern door at ground level.

Tourist Information
Shee Alms House
Rose Inn Street
Kilkenny
Co Kilkenny
Tel +353 (0)56 775 1500
Fax +353 (0)56 7763955
E Mail
Web Site

 

 

 

Kells Priory..
 

This priory was founded in 1193 for Cannons regular of the Augustinian order from Bobmin in Cornwall, by Geoffrey de Marisco, justiciar of Ireland. The impressive remains amount to about two ha (5 acres), most of the buildings we see today date from the fourteenth and fifteenth century. South of the church is a double enclosure surrounded by two set of walls. Protection of the outer wall is afforded by four square mural towers pierced with arrow loops. A fifth tower in the south east serves as a gate house. The church has a high central tower, a long nave, a choir at the east end, a north transepts opening into another chapel, and a chapel south of the choir. The prior probably lived in the tower on the north west corner of the nave.

Kells
Co Kilkenny
Tel +353
E Mail
Web Site

The site has recently been renovated.

 

 

 

St. Mary's Church..
 

The nave of this thirteenth century church has triple lancets with trefoil heads and at each end of the aisle twin lancets. The tower dates from the fourteenth or fifteenth century. A nineteenth century church, no longer in use occupies the site of the original choir.


Co Kilkenny
Tel +353
E Mail
Web Site

 

 

 

Tullaherin Church and Round Tower..
 

This little church probably dates from the tenth or eleventh century, the chancel was a later addition in the fifteenth century. There are antae east and west. Outside near the south west corner is a Ogam stone. Near the church is a round tower approximately 20 Metres (70 ft) high the upper portion of which is in ruin.


Tourist Information
Shee Alms House
Rose Inn Street
Kilkenny
Co Kilkenny
Tel +353 (0)56 775 1500
Fax +353 (0)56 7763955
E Mail
Web Site

 

 

 

Graiguenamanagh (Duiske) Abbey..
 

This Cistercian abbey was founded by William Marshall in 1207, at one time it claimed to have the largest church of any monastery in Ireland. It was largely rebuilt in the late eighteenth early nineteenth century, retaining the lancet windows and other architectural features from the thirteenth century. It is now a Roman Catholic church.

In the graveyard south of the choir are two high crosses, not original to the site.

Tourist Information
Shee Alms House
Rose Inn Street
Kilkenny
Co Kilkenny
Tel +353 (0)56 775 1500
Fax +353 (0)56 7763955
E Mail
Web Site

 

 

 

Ullard Church and High Cross.
 

This church dates from the twelfth century, most notable feature is a Romanesque west doorway, the building was much altered in the sixteenth century. Behind the church is a High Cross with a Crucifixion on the east face, with a much weathered biblical scene below.

Graiguenamanagh
Co Kilkenny
Tel +353
E Mail
Web Site

 

 

 

St. Johns Priory.
 

William Marshall the younger founded this Augustinian house in 1220. A Protestant C of I church now occupies the restored thirteenth or fourteenth century lady chapel. The ruins adjacent to the church are those of the choir of the original church. Nothing is to be seen of the original claustral buildings.

Tourist Information
Shee Alms House
Rose Inn Street
Kilkenny
Co Kilkenny
Tel +353 (0)56 775 1500
Fax +353 (0)56 7763955
E Mail
Web Site

 

 

 

Black Friars Church.
 

This church now used for Roman Catholic services was originally a Dominican Friary founded about 1226. The present church is built on the site of the thirteenth century nave and fourteenth century south wing. In the fifteenth century a tower and decorated windows were added. In the south wing is a alabaster statue of the holy trinity, to whom the Friary was dedicated.

Abbey Street
Kilkenny
Co Kilkenny
Tel +353
E Mail
Web Site

 

 

 

Jerpoint Abbey.
 

Jerpoint was a house of the Cistercian order founded in 1180 by Donal MacGillapatrick, king of Ossory. The choir, transepts and nave date from the late twelfth early thirteenth century, the present east window is of the fourteenth century, but the three light west window is original. The nave is separated from the north isle by a row of six arches, only one arch survives on the south side. Each transept contains two eastward facing chapels. Inside the church is a double piscine and sedilia as well as some thirteen century effigies and sixteenth century tombs.

In addition to all the usual claustral buildings, the abbey is said also to have had water mill's.

Read about Jerpoint Abbey from Samuel Lewis in 1837

Tourist Information
Shee Alms House
Rose Inn Street
Kilkenny
Co Kilkenny
Tel +353 (0)56 775 1500
Fax +353 (0)56 7763955
E Mail
Web Site

The chapter house has been completely restored and is used as a reception centre.

 

 

Other Church Sites.

.
 
Name
Description & Location
Founder-Builder
Date
Tullaherin Round Tower 100 ft high tower    
Sheepstown Church Celtic church.    
St. Canice's Round Tower 100 foot   10th century
Black Abbey Dominican abbey in Kilkenny city William Marshall A.D. 1225
Callan Priory Augustinian abbey William Marshall the elder 1215
St. Mary's Cathedral   Dr. Walshe, Bishop of Ossory 1857.
Fertagh Priory Augustinian priory Blanchfield family 13th century.
Fertagh Round Tower 100 ft limestone tower. ? ?
Inistioge Priory - Augustinian priory Thomas fitzAnthony 1215
Jerpoint Abbey Cisternian abbey Donnchadh Mac Giolla Phadraig, King of Ossory. 1158
Kilree Round Tower 98 foot high round tower   ?
Knocktopher Abbey Carmelite abbey James Butler, earl of Ormonde. 1356
St. Canice's Cathedral     early 13th C.
Kilferagh Church Celtic church   11th century
Rosbercon Abbey Dominican Abbey Walshe's c1267
Gowran Church     1215
Kells Priory Augustinian Priory Geoffrey fitzRobert 1193.
St. Francis Abbey Franciscan abbey Richard Marshall. c1231
St. John's Priory Augustinian priory   c1325
Thomastown Church   Thomas fitzAnthony early 13th c
Aughaviller Round Tower - 30 ft.stump ? ?
St. Mullin's Church Carlow   7th century.