Welcome to Oracleireland.com

 

 
 

Kildare Cathedral.

Kildare Cathedral.
 

(Church of the oak grove.)

Kildare Cathedral was founded by St Brigid who was born in 453 she was the first woman to be involved in church work in Ireland, and is one of the three most famous Irish saints, along with St. Patrick and St. Columcille, these three saints are reputably all buried in the grounds of Downpatrick Cathedral County Down. Kildare Cathedral would be regarded as second only to Armagh.

The county name is derived from Cill Dara which means "church of the oak", because the original church or 'kill' was built beside a large oak tree, the church flourished and the town of Kildare grew up around it.

By 470 Christianity was attracting more converts and St Brigid's monastery was founded. Brigid appointed St Conleth also known as 'Hugh the wise' as first bishop of Kildare.

Outside the cathedral are the remains of the ancient High Cross of Kildare, in the nave of the cathedral is a granite font which was discovered during restoration work.

Some tine after 1223 a church was built on this site by Bishop Ralph of Bristol. Parts of the south transept, the north and south walls and half of the central tower date from this period

Major restoration of the cathedral was begun in 1871 and completed in 1896, the architect was George Edmund Street. Repairs were made to the exterior of the building in the 1980's.

St Brigid's Well

St Brigid's well is situated on the site where her double monastery once stood Town, close to the Black Abbey. This well is reputedly one of many 'healing well' in Ireland. Healing liturgies are often held on the site and it is a popular place of pilgrimage.

Tourist Information
Market Street
Kildare Town
Co Kildare
Tel +00353 45 521240
E Mail
Web Site

Contact the Tourist office town for more information.

 

 
Look for other places to visit in County Kildare.