Welcome to Oracleireland.com

 

 
 

Castles in County Kildare.


 

Kilkea Castle
 

Kilkea Castle was built in the 1100's by "Sir Walter de Riddlesford", a knight who was part of the Anglo Norman invasion, it is situated in the heart of Kildare, about 40 miles south of Dublin. When a grand daughter of Riddlesford married a Fitzgerald the castle passed into the ownership of the Geraldines.

Kilkea Castle
Castledermot
Co Kildare
Tel:+353 059 9145156
Fax:+353 059 9145187
E Mail
Web Site

In the 1600's the castle fell to Cromwell, it is now a comfortable hotel with all modern amenities. It has its own 18 hole golf course as well as clay pigeon shooting, archery, horse riding and a fitness and leisure centre.

Kilkea Castle is now a luxury hotel.

Read about the history of Kilkea Castle on the castle's website.

 

 


Maynooth Castle.
 

(Nuadhat's plain.)

The keep of this castle was begun in 1203 by Gerald fitz Maurice (FitzGerald), baron of Offaly. It was modified and enlarged by his successors, especially John the sixth earl in 1426. In the early sixteenth century another major restoration was carried out by the earl of Cork, father in law to the fifteenth earl of Kildare

It was from this castle that Garret Mór FitzGerald, the eighth earl ruled Ireland from 1478 to 1513. Also from here during the Geraldine Rebellion "Silken Thomas" FitzGerald, baron of Offaly took his final stand against the English. The fall of the castle marking the beginning of the Tudor conquest of Ireland.

Maynooth
Co Kildare
Tel +353 (0)1 6286744
Fax +353 (0)1 6286848
E Mail
Web Site

In the keep is an exhibition on the history of the castle.

 

 

Leixlip Castle.
 

(Salmon Leap.)

Leixlip castle was built in the early 1200's, it was from here that King John accompanied by English knights and barons, set out to hunt moose, red deer and wolves in the great oak forests and river banks of County Kildare. The castle had many occupants over the centuries one of which was the Honorable William Conolly, nephew of the speaker of the Irish Parliament.

Leixlip
Co Kildare
Tel +353 (0)
Fax +353 (0)
E Mail
Web Site

The castle was much modified during the 18th century, although it retains its original round and square towers. It is now the headquarter of the Irish Georgian Society and is not open to the public.