(Field of the yew tree.)
This fine six storied step battlemented tower
house was built by the O'Flahertys around the end of the fifteenth
it is one of some 200 tower houses in Galway. The castle stands
on the shores of Lough Corrib, Aughnanure Castle sits inside a double
Bawn. The outer Bawn has a turret and encloses the ruins of a banqueting
hall, dating from the sixteenth century.
The O'Flaherty clan held the castle until
1572, when it was captured by the President of Connaught, Sir Edward
During the Cromwellian invasion it was used
to blockade Galway, later it was granted to the Earl of Clanrickard,
who soon after lost it to the O'Flahertys. Who lost it to Lord St.
George as the result of the foreclosure of a mortgage. It is now
in the possession of the state.