Crom Castle estate extends to 1350 acres it is set on a peninsula surrounded by the shimmering
waters of Upper Lough Erne, it is one of the most important wildlife nature reserves
owned by the National Trust.
The castle built between 1834
- 40 for the Earls of Erne, the family still live there, the castle
and its associated buildings are private. One of these buildings
was constructed in 1610 to house peat
which was brought to the estate by barge to fuel the fires in the
There is also a restored six sided
summer house complete with a fireplace, also a castellated boat house
on the shore of the Lough.
The ruins of the former Crom Castle
are to be seen, this plantation building was built in 1611 and was unsuccessfully
besieged by the Jacobites under Lord Galmoy in March 1689 and again in
July under general McCarthy. The house remained in the hands of the Crichton
family until it was accidentally burned down in 1764.
|The West Wing
Tel +44 (0)28 677 38004
at Crom Castle.
If you require a wedding venue of discintion
historic Crom Castle has a lot to offer, click the link on the left
to visit Crom Castle web site.