Castle was built
by the Reverend Malcolm Hamilton, Rector of Devenish sometime around
1618 it stands on a rocky ourcrop just east of the village of Monea
in County Fermanagh, close by is a dried up lake with a crannog.
The castle is built in the Scottish
style, consisting of an oblong tower house rising to three storeys
with round towers on two of the corners. The bawn was built in 1622
a year before Hamilton was promoted to Archbishop of Cashel in 1623.
During the 1641 rebellion the castle was
attacked by Rory Maguire. Little more is known until 1688 when it
was occupied by Gustavus Hamilton, Governor of Enniskillen, this
Hamilton died in 1691leaving his greatly impoverished wife and children
continued to live at the castle, but had to sell the estate in 1704.