Welcome to Oracleireland.com

 

 
 

Sketrick Castle County Down.



Sketrick Castle.
 

Sketrick Castle is the remains of a Norman tower house situated on a island just a few yards offshore near the village of Whiterock. It was attacked in 1470 and again during the 16th century and appears to have been abandoned soon afterwards.

The castle rises to four stories with four chambers at ground level, the central may have been a boat bay, and a small unlighted room perhaps a lock up or treasury. The castle stood fairly intact until 1896 when half of it collapsed in a storm.

The castle is recorded as being the loneliest place in crown control, possession of the castle changed often, being at times controlled by the MacQuillens, Savages and the Earl of Kildare. The castle had the defensive advantages of being located on an island, and could be provisioned by sea.