Ringhaddy Castle.

Irish Castles

Look for other castles in County Down.

See County Down Castles from Samuel Lewis' Topographical Directory of Ireland published in 1837.
Rinn an Chadaigh "point of the covenant"

Ringhaddy Castle stands just above the shoreline at the northern end of Strangford Lough, guarding the strategically important Ringhaddy Sound.

In 1470 it is recorded to have been captured by Henry O'Neill lord of Tyr Eoghan (Tyrone) and handed over to the MacQuillen of Dufferin. Its position on the northern boundary of English influence with the O'Neill lands of Clandeboye made it of great importance.

It was once held by the Whites of Dufferin, (Anglo Norman decent) and was extensively remodeled by Sir Ralph Lane 1601-02.

The castle and surrounding land are at presten (2007) owned by a brother of one of Northern Irelands former prime ministers Brian Faulkner, it is not open to the public.

See also The Development of Irish Castles.

Look for other county Down Castles.