Welcome to Oracleireland.com

 

 
 

Quintin Castle.
County Down.

Irish Castles.

Go to castles in County Down.


 

Quintin Castle is situated near the southern tip of the Ards Peninsular, it is one of the few Norman castles in Ireland that is still inhabited. It was built by John de Courcy in 1184, the property then came into the hands of the Savage family who were of Norman descent.

In the 17th century Sir James Montgomery a Scottish planter, who occupied the abbey lands at Greyabbey, purchased the castle and lands from Dulaltaigh Smith a descendant of the Savage's. Sometime before 1659 Montgomery's son William renovated the castle, added a walled courtyard and built a large house adjacent to the tower.

The Montgomery's sold Quintin Castle to George Ross, who doesn't appear to have lived in it. By the early 19th century it was in a state of near ruin, it was at this time that Elizabeth Calvert (nee Blacker) inherited the castle.

In 1850 she made extensive restorations, raising the central keep, added a drawing room opening into the garden and a dining room was built in the great hall, at this time most of the grounds were enclosed by a stone wall.

Local Tourist Information
31 Regents Street
Newtownards
BT23 4AD
Co Down
Tel +44 (0)28 9182 6846
E Mail
Web Site
From the South replace 028 with 048

In the early 1930's the estate was purchased by the Burgess family who occupied it until the 1950's when it changed hands again, the new owner was Skeets Martin a Belfast estate agent, who lived in it with his wife until the early 1970's. In 1978 the castle was opened as a private old peoples home. In 2005 local rumor had it that Quintin Castle was up for sale and that Sean Connery of 007 fame had an interest in it.

Quintin Castle is privately owned and not open to the public.