Welcome to Oracleireland.com

 

 
 

Erynagh Monastery.

County Down.

Other Ecclesiastical Sites
In County Down


Erynagh Monastery
 

No trace of the Monastery of Erynagh founded in 1126 or 7 according to Samuel Lewis (1837) by Magnell Makenlefe, King of Ulster, Lewis goes on to explain

"This abbey was garrisoned against De Courcy in 1177, who, for that reason, levelled it with the ground and transferred its possessions to the abbey of Inch, which he subsequently founded in the Isle of Inis Courcy, on the ruins of a pagan temple. A circle of upright stones and other Druidical remains are still existing near the spot."

The monastery once stood on or adjacent to the Erynagh Road to the west of the town of Downpatrick not far from Ballynoe Stone Circle

Erynagh Road
Downpatrick
Co Down
Tel +353
E Mail
Web Site

No trace of the monastery exists.