Welcome to Oracleireland.com

 

 
 

Castle's in County Down.

See County Down Castles from Samuel Lewis' Topographical Directory of Ireland published in 1837.

Strangford Castle.
 

Simple 16th century tower house with drop hole at roof level to defend the door. It is said to have been built on the site of an earth work castle built by John de Courcy in the late 12th century, and was an important mensal manor of the Earls of Ulster.

Immediately below the castle is a natural landing place known as Seneschal's Port, which was probably named for one of the Savages who held the post in the 15th century, and who in all probability built the castle.

Directions: Near Strangford Harbour, in the village.

 

 

Walshtown Castle.
 

The Walsh's came to Ireland with John de Courcy eventually they built this castle on the southern shore of Strangford Lough living in it until the mid 1600's when in the reign of Charles I the property was taken from them and granted to the Anderson family.

Nearby is Myra Castle which in fact is a 19th century dwelling. Both properties are in private hands and are not open to the public.

More information.

 

 

Portaferry Castle.
 

This tower house built in the 16th century by the Savage family, it overlooks Portaferry harbour and the northern narrows of Strangford Lough. Of square construction but with a spiral staircase. The wooden ceilings and floors now decayed.

The present appearance of the castle is due largely to repairs carried out in 1635 by Sir James Montgomery, the castle now houses the Portaferry tourist office.

 

 

Ringhaddy Castle.
 

Ringhaddy Castle stands just above the shoreline at the northern end of Strangford Lough, guarding the strategically important Ringhaddy Sound. In 1470 it is recorded to have been captured by Henry O'Neill lord of Tand iacute;r Eoghan (Tyrone) and handed over to the MacQuillen of Dufferin. Its position on the northern boundary of English influence with the O'Neill lands of Clandeboye made it of great importance. It was once held by the Whites of Dufferin, (Angle Norman decent) and was extensively remodeled by Sir Ralph Lane 1601-02.

The castle and surrounding land is owned by a brother of one of Northern Irelands former prime ministers Brian Faulkner, it is not open to the public.

See also The Development of Irish Castles.

 

 

Mahee Castle.
 

Mahee castle was built in 1570 by an English adventurer Captain Thomas Browne, on land leased from the Bishop of Down. It was his intention to found an English colony, to facilitate this he built a large quay. Four years later he lost the tower to the O'Neill's of Clandeboye on who's land the tower stood.

See also The Development of Irish Castles.

Images of Mahee Castle. More information about Mahee Castle.

 

 

Quoile Castle.
 

Quoile Castle is a 16th century tower house partly restored. The exact date of its construction is unknown, it is not shown on a map of 1568, but was in existence in the early 16th century when it was called Casllancoyll (Castle of the wood) It was rebuilt in the late 16th early 17th century by the West family.

The castle was originally surrounded on two sides by tidal water, this was in-filled in the early 19th century.

See also The Development of Irish Castles.

Images of Quoile Castle.

More information about Quoile Castle.