Welcome to Oracleireland.com

 

 
 

Castles in County Clare.

Irish Castles.

Knappogue Castle.
 

Built by Sean MacNamara's in 1467, the castle remained in the possession of the MacNamara's until the 1641 rebellion, when its then owner Donal MacNamra was one of the leaders of the rebellion, after which it was confiscated by Cromwell and granted to one of his supporters Arthur Smith.

After the restoration of the monarchy in 1660 the castle was restored to the MacNamara's who held it until 1800 when it was sold to the Scott family, who carried out extensive renovations. In 1855, Knappogue Castle became the property of Thomas F Butler .Lord Dunboyne' who continued the restoration.

Sometime in the 1920's the castle was acquired by a local farmer, between then and 1966 when it was bought by Edwin Andrews of Houston Texas it had fallen into a state of disrepair. Andrews and his architect wife began a major restoration which was to bring the castle back to its former glory

The castle is now run as a hotel.

Knappogue Castle
Quin
Co. Clare
Tel +353 (0)61 360788/361511
Fax: 061 361020
E Mail
Web Site

 

 

 

Gleninagh Castle
 

(Glen of the ivy.)

This L shaped tower house was built by the O'Loughlin's in the fifteenth or sixteenth century. A spiral staircase that will take you to the fourth floor, is situated in the small leg of the L.

Tourist Information
Arthur Row
off O'Connell Square
Ennis
Co Clare
Tel +003536828366
E Mail
Web Site

This castle enjoys a beautiful situation on the south shore of Galway bay.

 

 

Newtown Castle.
   
Tourist Information
Arthur Row
off O'Connell Square
Ennis
Co Clare
Tel +003536828366
E Mail
Web Site

This is a five storey sixteenth century tower house. The vaulted ceilings show clearly the marks of the wicker work used in constructing the vaulting. This tower is unusual in that it is square at the bottom and round at the top.

 

 

Bunratty Castle.
 

(Mouth of the river Ratty.)

Robert de Muscegros built a motte and bailey on this site about 1250. In the late thirteenth century it was replaced by a stone castle built by Thomas de Clare. Thomas's son Richard was killed at the battle of Dysert O'Dea in 1318, after which his widow set fire to the castle before leaving the area.

It was rebuilt in 1355 by Thomas de Rokeby. The oldest parts of the present castle date from the mid fifteenth century, when it was in the hands of the MacNamara's. The O'Brien's were in control by 1500, in 1543 Murrough O'Brien was created first earl of Thomond by Henry VIII.

Donough O'Brien the fourth earl made considerable structural changes to the building in the late sixteenth century. During the civil war in the mid seventeenth century the castle was held by Admiral Sir William Penn (Father of the founder of Pennsylvania.) For the parliamentary forces, but is later surrendered. The castle was owned for a time by the Stoddert family, before being bought by Lord Gortin 1956.

The castle is a popular tourist attraction complimented by the surrounding folk park, which contains many replicas of rural buildings in Ireland. These include a blacksmith's shop, several farmhouses and thatched cottages, a fisherman's cottage, a farm laborer's bothy (bothán scóir) several urban shops and houses, a horizontal grain mill, and the Talbot collection of agricultural machinery and implements.

Bunratty Castle
Bunratty
Co Clare
Tel +353 (0)61 360788
E Mail
Web Site

Medieval banquets and traditional Irish nights are held in the castle.

 

 

Carrigaholt Castle.
 

This late fifteenth century tower house built by the McMahon, if eventually came into the possession of the O'Brien's. It was captured for Cromwell 1652 by General Edmund Ludlow.

Carrigaholt
Co Clare
Tel +353 (0)
E Mail
Web Site

Beautifully situated on the northern shore of the Shannon estuary, the tower rises to five storeys.