Welcome to Oracleireland.com

 

 
 

Kilmore Cathedral.

Kilmore Cathedral.
 

Founded by St Feidhlim.

Six miles west of Cavan town at Kilmore a church was founded by St Feidhlim in 885 AD, the site was to be elevated to cathedral status in 1454 when it became the seat of a Bishop. A new Church of Ireland Cathesral was built in the 1860, in the cathedral is a famous Romanesque doorway believed to have been taken from the nearby priory on Trinity Island in Lough Ougher.

The cathedral was designed by English architect William Slater, noteable features are the stain glass windows depicting biblical scenes. Located just south of the cathedral is a covered holy well dating from the 17th ot 18th century, the well is dedicate to St Feidhlim, who's feast day was the 9th August, formerly this was celebrated but latterly the practice has ceased.

Kilmore
Co Cavan
Tel +353 (0)
E Mail
Web Site

On the site are the remains of a much older cathedral, which are used as a parish hall, adjoining this are the remains of the Bishop's palace, much of this was replaced in the ninteenth century by a See House built in the Grecian style..