Welcome to Oracleireland.com

 

 
 

Castle's in County Carlow.


Huntington Castle.
 

Huntington Castle was originally built as a tower house between 1625 and 1630 by the Esmondes over the centuries the castle was extended, and added to in various architectural styles.

The castle is approached from the village of Clonegal "Meadow of the Foreigners" down a straight 17th-century lime avenue

Probably the one who added most to the building was Alexander Durdin who in 1860 mad major additions to the rear of the castle, installing plumbing, while attempting to enlarge some basement windows.

Huntington Castle & Gardens,
Clonegal village,
County Carlow
Tel +353 (0)53 937 7552
Fax:+353 (0)53 937 7160
E Mail
Web Site

Huntington holds the distinction of being one of the earliest houses in Ireland to be supplied with its own electricity generated by a turbine installed in 1888.

In the grounds of Huntington are many majestic old trees, there are four varieties of Hickory a type of Oak, Siberian crab and buckeye chestnut The River Derry which forms part of the boundary between counties Wexford and Carlow flows along the bottom of the woodland area, providing many pleasant woodland walks.